Healthy, thoughtful eating while pregnant can do so much in making pregnancy more comfortable, enjoyable, and ensuring that Mama stays low risk and able to birth normally.
One thing that stands in the way of this for women, particularly your normal American woman eating the normal American diet, is snacking. Throwing in the difficulties of eating healthy when rushing off to work in the morning or chasing after other kids can make it even harder.
Mamas often report that eating well can help with nausea, headaches, tiredness, and other “normal” pregnancy ailments. Dr. Brewer also felt that a diet both balanced and rich in vegetables and high in protein could prevent toxemia and premature rupture of membranes. Here are some snacks that are filling, contain protein, and are fairly easy to make.
- Celery with peanut or almond butter or cream cheese
- Cottage cheese with fruit or tomatoes
- Boiled egg, plain or chopped on a salad
- Apple with peanut butter
- Raw nuts – you can get them in bulk at your local health food store, almonds are my favorite~
- Add coconut, pumpkin or sunflower seeds and raisins or dried cranberries to your morning oatmeal or granola, or just mix some of your favorites together for an easy trail mix.
- Cheese stick
- Plain yogurt (Nancy’s yogurt is a good one) with some honey or fruit or some raw seeds. I like to layer fruit, berries, yogurt, and honey.
- Buy or make your own granola with some added seeds
- Fresh vegetables chopped with hummus to dip. You can make your own hummus with garbanzo beans, buy it dehydrated and just add water and olive oil, or buy it pre-made.
- Fresh greens or sprouts with olive oil or your favorite dressing and some raw nuts and seeds on top or your favorite cheese
- Whole grain crackers with cheese
- Green smoothies – try some kale leaves with a few bananas and molasses to sweeten, enough ice to make it a smoothie and water, juice, or yogurt or milk to make it creamy. It is easy to add other whole food supplements to this too!
- Air popped popcorn with butter or olive oil and nutritional yeast sprinkled on it
Here in Portland we have some really nutritious snack options! One of my favorite best kept secrets is Bob’s Red Mill in Milwaukie. You can eat something yummy in their cafe or take something with you for home – healthy and nutritious food like steel cut oats and granola galore! Across the street is Dave’s Killer Bread, where you can buy bread with whole grains and seeds and yummy things for you and your baby.
Happy Healthy Snacking!