If your doula training was like the typical 24 hour DONA Birth Doula Training, you spent 99% of your time talking about pregnancy, labor, childbirth, postpartum care, and practicing hands on comfort and relaxation measures and then approximately 1 hour talking about establishing and running a doula practice. It was probably something that you touched upon at the end of your training, when you were worn out and tired and ready to just start attending births. Maybe you did your training a long time ago and you just never really managed to attract clients and so your practice has just kind of sat stagnant?
This course is designed with this question in mind:
“I’m a doula – now what?”
In this six (6) week course that meets for 3 hours weekly (that’s 18 hours total, for people who are keeping track) at the MamaBaby Center, you will expand your doula education to become a certified and professional doula. You will also have the opportunity to create a doula collective with other doulas who are also registered for the course as you get to know each other over the six week period. The business part of doula work is the part I actually enjoy the most – it’s where my passion lies – in helping new doulas get started! Here’s how I’ve broken up the sessions:
Doula Workshops for your Doula Business
- How to set up your practice (a holistic view)
- Defining your target client
- Basic marketing materials
- Advertising vs. Marketing vs. Networking
- Social Media and Birth Work
- Creating a simple marketing plan that works
- Contacting companies for samples
- Client paperwork
- Doula charting
- Client educational materials
- Client goodie bags/gifts
- The consult! Who is interviewing who here?
- Prenatal appointments
- Postpartum appointments
- Being on call
- Your First Official Client
- Packing your doula birth bag and your own personal birth survival bag
- Dealing with difficult situations/difficult clients
- “Secret” Doula tips and recipes
- Doula personal life and professionalism in an internet world
- From doula to …? Options after life on call
- working with home birth midwives (guest speaker)
- wrap up and plan a 1 year reunion!
The cost for this 18 hour course is $360.00. I know that is nearly as much as you paid for your doula workshop, if you took one, but I think the practical nature of this course and the hands on workshops that will help you develop your practice are a smart investment in your new doula business.
You could be the best doula in the world, but without clients, you won’t ever make you any money, so you need to invest in both a doula training workshop and a doula business workshop if you really want to create a thriving practice. Preregistration is required by June 30th. If you have the resources and you’d like to save $60.00, register by June 10th [AMENDED DATE] for an early bird discount! You can download the registration form for this class or email me and I’ll send it to you.
Recommended articles will be provided as .pdf files to registrants, and the lending library at the MamaBaby Center has the books that will support our curriculum. Participants will receive educational/client materials for their clients as well as develop their own. The first course begins on [AMENDED DATE] Tuesday, July 10 at 6pm [calendar]. Appetizers and refreshments will be served at each class, since it’s a 6-9 pm class!
Questions? Please send an email to